I’ve been having a hard time deciding what my favourite day is on the Tour du Mont Blanc.
It’s a tossup between the fourth day from Courmayeur to Rifugio Bonatti and the eighth day from Col de la Forclaz to Argentiere.
The Courmayeur to Refugio Bonatti hike takes you up, steeply at times, to Rifugio Bertone, over about two hours. Along the way you get nice views of Courmayeur, 700 meters below; just before the rifugio, Mont Blanc and the Aiguille Noire come into view if it’s a clear day.
After Rifugio Bertone, a good spot for refreshments, head left to contour around the Val Ferret flank of Mont de la Saxe. If you look back, you can see the Col de la Seigne, crossed one or two days earlier, depending on your itinerary. Ahead is a series of glaciers, mountains and rock walls.
The walking past Rifugio Bertone is wonderful. The grade is a treat – gradual for a change as it takes you across wildflower filled meadows and through larchwoods. Every step you take through here is one with breathtaking scenery. This is a day where you want the weather to cooperate.
Rifugio Bonatti is reached after about 4½hours. It’s a private rifugio, clean and well designed. You can find private rooms (with shared bathrooms) and lots of dormitory spaces. They give you a token for a short but hot shower so bring a small towel as they aren’t provided. Dinner and breakfast are included in the price of 58 Euros per night – for the private room. The food is plentiful and good and wine and beer can be purchased. Really very civilized.
Useful Information for the Courmayeur to Rifugio Bonatti section of the Tour du Mont Blanc (TMB)
- Total distance for the day is 12 kilometers (7.2 miles) for the main TMB. Variations can add 2-4 kilometers.(1.2-2.4 miles)
- Height gain is 860 meters (2820 feet)
- Refreshments available at the Rigufio Bertone or Bonatti but lots of options to purchase food in Courmayeur
- You can easily make reservations for Rifugio Bonatti. They require a cash payment.
- Les Houches to Les Contamines on the Tour du Mont Blanc (Day 1)
- Day 2 on the Tour du Mont Blanc: Les Contamines to Les Chapieux
- Day 3 on the Tour du Mont Blanc: Don’t Make My Mistake
- A Saturday on the Tour du Mont Blanc (mostly inspiring pictures from our last day)