I have been accumulating a collection of outdoor footwear for some years. I am loathe to discard anything but the reality is that I go to the same sandals time and time again because of how they fit. Recently it’s been a tossup between an old pair of Chacos and a lightweight pair of Tevas.
But I have a new favourite – the KEEN Gallatin CNX.
A pair arrived on my doorstep a few weeks ago thanks to KEEN Canada. I started wearing them immediately and fell in love with a number of their features.
- I am hardly a fashionista but I actually love the grey/coral colour combo. I doubt that I would have chosen that colour but it’s working for me. (The other choice is turquoise with this sandal.)
- They are super comfortable and feel more like a slipper than a sandal – yet they offer enough support that I can wear them on a hike – perhaps not a 16 kilometer hike – but certainly a hike of 10 kilometers.
- They don’t weigh very much – 7.5 ounces to be exact. My feet hate being in a heavy boot all day so this sandal is light enough to carry in my backpack. I can slip them on when my feet have had enough of being cooped up in bigger boots. I often do this on the last few kilometers of a long hike.
- They have a very good grip – though for the ultimate test I’d need to go back to Pukaskwa National Park. The rock there was so slippery when wet that even my heavy duty leather hiking boots couldn’t grip it properly.
- They are much slimmer than my old pair of KEEN sandals so they look more feminine.
- I have my grandmother’s feet and as much as I loved my grandmother, I hated her feet. I don’t want to scare you, but suffice to say that I can hide my feet in this sandal and they actually look good.
What else do I like about the sandal? Do you see the little pull tab on the tongue? There’s one there and one at the heel, so it’s a snap to get your foot comfortably inside. You can tighten them easily as well.
These sandals work well in the water. They dry quickly. And although I haven’t done it yet, they are machine-washable.
Recently I have started going to a chiropractor for various aches and pains. She immediately suggested orthotics – which I do have for my heavy duty hiking boots. Interestingly, the company she deals with makes a slim fit orthotic to fit a range of KEEN sandals – should you need one.
Sizing is accurate. The price in Canada is $110 with free ground shipping.